8" solid aluminum rims for Z50 not 2 halves

PlanetMinis Forums

This is a discussion on 8" solid aluminum rims for Z50 not 2 halves within the Z50, CT70 and JDM Monkeybikes forums, part of the General Talk category; I saw these a couple days ago on ebay and have been eyeballing them pretty hard. Thought I would share. They are offered in various ...

This user has no status.

I saw these a couple days ago on ebay and have been eyeballing them pretty hard. Thought I would share.

They are offered in various rim widths
    Closest to stock Z50 rim size 2.75x8 version

Material: Aluminum, specific grade unknown
    Manufacturing process: Cast

I am thinking about getting 2pcs of 2.75x8 and 2 pcs of 2.75x12. 2pcs of each because that is how they are available at a better price. Then run 2.75x8 on rear with snow hog tire and 2.75x12 on from with some 12in tire. If they made a narrower 12 I would go for that.

2.75x8 3.50x8 Offset Rims wheels For Honda Monkey Z50 Z50R Z50J Bike Skyteam #1 | eBay
    Last edited by 50race; 03-10-2017 at 10:33 AM.

is Initial Success or Total
    Failure.

As you know I've been looking for rim halves and had been checking these out as well. They look well built and strong but I ended getting OEM 4 bolt halves (f/r) with f/r brake drums for $100 on ebay. I feel like these would have been plenty good to run.

is busy convincing his wife he
    has 1 bike with many sets of
    plastic....

Yeah they got enough meat on them, would be a bit heavier than stock by the looks of the pic, even though steel to aluminum. I've been wanting to make some nice one's up, but you can't come close to getting good aluminum for that price, not to mention the man hours it takes to machine em up... (Notice it says "material: aluminum", if they were using a good grade it'd be advertised) But $110 shipped for a set, hard to beat! And it's not like the stockers are anything to brag about anyway.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Chum View Post
    . I've been wanting to make some nice one's up, but you can't come close to getting good aluminum for that price, not to mention the man hours it takes to machine em up... (Notice it says "material: aluminum", if they were using a good grade it'd be advertised).
    Not even G-craft mentions the grade of aluminium used in their rims.

This user has no status.

I've been on the fence for a similar set of these as well for my street machine. I've nearly hit the BIN button a few times. Eventually, it's going to happen and I'll be sure to post all about it.
    50 Nuts

Fat Tires Rule

This user has no status.

So do I need to do this for science? :P

plastic....

Quote Originally Posted by nielspbr View Post
    I may have came off the wrong way... I have seen these (I forget if they were exact ones) a while ago and it crossed my mind to try them. Shoot I bought one of the $80 or so tube swingarms for my daughters Z a few years ago to get it street legal (seat height is 2" short to be legal here in VA). I wouldn't think of gettin it too far off the ground with me on it, but for her riding it like she does (which is very minimal, she just got her first car) or a buddy taking that one on the road if we want to go, it's plenty good. I still may pick up a set of these rims to try them on one of my bikes.... All depends who you are, how you ride, and how the rest of your bike is built. They'd probably be completely fine for most of us, but I priced out the raw material a year and a half ago or so, and at my price it was quite a bit more than these cost. I don't know how China does it.

This user has no status.

I would say these are Cast and they do not have the amount of material in them you would from billet nor the time

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by nielspbr View Post
    G-craft does specify material for their wheels A5052, A5083, A2017. G-craft specifies what material they use for most parts they make.

https://www.g-craft.com/w-catalog/we...g2014-2015.pdf
    7N01,A5052,A5083,A2017,A6063 all materials

reference info on the A5052 v 6061
    https://www.arconic.com/mill_product...6061_final.pdf

This user has no status.

These are totally cast! That is the only way these are as cheap as they are. Chum, would LOVE to see what you could come up with if you ever do!
    50 Nuts

Fat Tires Rule

plastic....

Quote Originally Posted by 66Cooper View Post
    These are totally cast! That is the only way these are as cheap as they are. Chum, would LOVE to see what you could come up with if you ever do!
    Hey buddy, apparently I took this off the rails here, didn't mean to.... They look like decent rims (shoot I would highly think about buying a set or two), without a doubt they're cast, and would work great for most applications. When I mentioned "at my cost" when I checked on machinin up some rims, I was placing small orders with the company I was contracted through that was getting 1 to 3 53' flatbeds making deliveries of almost exclusively 6061 aluminum every day. They would order a 6 or 12' length of solid round for instance, use 2/3 of it, then it was too short to do what they needed to do with it in the near future so it got melted. I was getting some of this stuff for scrap rate, like pennies on the dollar is an understatement.

Hard to compete with China, I mean $50 a set..... They're making a bit on shipping at around $5/kg (maybe better if they're importing a lot of them which I doubt, or adding to other orders which is probable) but still... Buy a set and shoot some feedback! I actually will need to pick up a set I believe shortly (I think the 3 or 4 stockers I have on the shelf are all not straight) so maybe I will!

This user has no status.

The main point is that the offset of the rims is correct. Remember the wide early 10" and 12" falcon knock offs.

@50Race hmm, missed that they mention the materials in the wheels/rims chapter. I know that for frames, swingarms etc they specify the material (7N01).

Sponsored Links