1992 "I can't have nice things" Z50R Restomod.

PlanetMinis Forums

This is a discussion on 1992 "I can't have nice things" Z50R Restomod. within the Z50, CT70 and JDM Monkeybikes forums, part of the General Talk category; So, my vision was to buy and flip. Minimum amount of money and elbow grease and get rid of it..but things changes, feelings develop and ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 1992 "I can't have nice things" Z50R Restomod.

is Initial Success or Total
    Failure.

So, my vision was to buy and flip. Minimum amount of money and elbow grease and get rid of it..but things changes, feelings develop and now here I am.

I bought this heap off CL for $100. From the pictures (which I wish I had), it didn't look all that bad. When I picked it up, I looked over it quick and decided for $100 I could make a quick dollar.

Well, boy was I wrong.

I got it home and started evaluating the bike. It had been sitting outside for a few years the previous owner said and I believe him. The grips felt like melted putty and stuck to everything, wiring and the seat had been chewed by mice, kill switch was broken off, front left fork leg had a dent in it (wasn't bent, just dented). The bike had been repainted (fairly well might I add) black and white Chinese lettering was applied on all of the things. The tank has a substantial dent in it that was to my surprise bondo'ed very very well. The wheel halves were rusted together on shot tires, chain was broken and rusted. Overall, the bike was probably worth all of that $100 and not a dollar more.

The worst was the motor, I knew from photos it needed a carb and flywheel. That didn't seem all that big of a deal, specially if the motor ran. When I sat down to look at the motor I realized a bigger issue. There was A LOT of JB weld on the bracket for the fly wheel trigger. I started chipping away and sure enough the fly wheel trigger mount just disintegrated. On top of that, the wiring from the stator was all cut out. I could have replaced the entire left side of the motor but I went with another motor for $80 that had ran before pulled, it had a broken motor mount but I already had a plan for that. Worst comes to worst, I combined the two into one working motor.

Okay, enough talk. Onto the photos. My plan was to restore the bike as close to original as I could, well after painting it and realizing I suck, I went in my own direction.

Oh and the most fun of all this? Look at the background, I don't have a garage. This was all done is a very small room/space. Yay!

Broken fly wheel trigger mount..the start of my headache.

Earliest picture I remembered to take, wish I had the one from the Ad.

Pulling apart, test fitting a brake lever.

Sanding sucks, a lot.

To give an idea of my work space..

Probably should have bought new plastics but my end goal was to save money. You can kinda see some bondo and the dent in the tank.

Finally no more sanding!

This is the point I realized I suck at painting things. Overall, after some wet sanding they came out pretty good, but I have high standards and this didn't meet them.

Laid out waiting for assembly.

Decided to make my own vinyls. I was going to do a retro theme but then last second opted for silver/black. Matches the exhaust nice too.

Getting it pieced together and realizing I'm going to end up keeping it. Gonna have to look into a different bar set up. You can also see the side plate decals I cut in black in the background.

Fixing up the chewed wires, two of them were down to one or two strands left. You can also see I went with a keyed ignition, hopefully it works..

This is how it sits as of right now (12 Mar 17). I ordered older 4 bolt rims/hubs for the strength and bigger brakes and also cause I got sick of trying to cut off my old tires.

Laser engraved the flywheel cover because I can.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to keep this updated as I continue on.
    RAZZO, coler919 and motodevo like this.

is Defying the laws of
    tradition...

Supporting Member

Real nice job so far! Like the tank decal! Looks good on the white.
    Razzomoto.com......We are too sexy for our minis. Hidden Content

is NOOB

Looking great!
    2004 Kawasaki KLX 110(194cc) FULL MOD Mini-Motard
    1997 Honda Z50R (88cc) STOCK MOD Mini-Motard

4. Remove Advertisements
    PlanetMinis.com
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Soooo, what else can you do then...aside from the laser engraving? I always love hearing about what members have the ability to do, especially when it can be translated into super sweet, Honda related items
    50 Nuts

Fat Tires Rule

Failure.

Quote Originally Posted by 66Cooper View Post
    Soooo, what else can you do then...aside from the laser engraving? I always love hearing about what members have the ability to do, especially when it can be translated into super sweet, Honda related items
    Well, having access to that laser engraver is awesome. I also have a vinyl cutter, which is where I made my Z decal. I'm a bomb tech as well, so does that count for something?

Failure.

New tires/tubes showed up, nothing fancy. This was the best price for two tires with tubes on the internet I could come up with (free shipping!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	204409

New Pair 2 Shinko Tires & Free Tubes 3.50-8 SR 421 Front & Rear Honda Z50R Trail | eBay

They are really nice and will do just fine.

Failure.

Well the first one came off with no issues.. this second one..well I give up.

The top came halfway off and then the piece in the middle you hold with your wrench broke free of the center section. So if you're wrench is on it, the threaded part still spins. I tried to compress the spring and get clamps on the center rod to hold it..still didn't work. Looks like I'm getting 'new' ones. Now it's just decided if I wanna go with a longer swingarm too...

This user has no status.

Please don't replace them with stock ones. Find a used pair of old XR75 or 80 shocks...which are actually shocks and not just pogo sticks.
    50 Nuts

Fat Tires Rule

Failure.

I don't have +1's in the front, will the bike still be fairly even with XR75/80 shocks?

Also, I have a set of CT70 stock shocks, are those considered garbage too? Perhaps I can just get the swingarm and use those shocks, if they are worthy. If not I'll get a XR75/80 rear end set up, swingarm + shocks

edit; Done a bunch of reading since I posted. Just curious, what do people use as a rear brake drum tab? It's 12.4mm tall by 12.1mm wide, not sure if that's a piece you can just source and weld on.
    Last edited by TankTheory; 03-18-2017 at 06:34 PM.

Super Moderator
    is grateful again...

Supporting Member

You can use a piece of round stock steel, and then grind the two flat spots on it after it is in place
    loopiemclooperson likes this.
    - dirtbkr188 -

Failure.

Awesome, thanks.

So. 82 XR80 swing arm, CT70 shocks (temporary), CT70 brake rod and .5 in steel rod for a tab. Lets do it.

This user has no status.

XR swing arm can fit with mods. Do some searching and you will find all the info on that.

Yes, the vintage XR shocks are longer but I've had them teamed with a set of Fast50s fork springs and it looked, and more importantly, performed amazing. Those springs add a bit of height, maybe an inch, up front.
    TankTheory likes this.
    50 Nuts

Fat Tires Rule

This user has no status.

The ones I have (god only knows what they are actually from) are 12" center to center. Looked like this.
    TankTheory likes this.
    50 Nuts

Fat Tires Rule

Failure.

Looks good Cooper, I may just skip the swingarm and get the shocks for now and the springs up front. I'm eyeing another bike that needs a shifter shaft replaced and I'm thinking about just doing a manual clutch kit since a) it comes with that part b) it has a takegawa 106cc kit in it.

Talk to me about your front drum set up? I see an extra bracket/cable if I'm not mistaken?
    Last edited by TankTheory; 03-18-2017 at 08:08 PM.

This user has no status.

It truly all depends on what you want to use your bike for. Mine is now, primarily a road bike. The fast50 springs are a little stiff and a lot crude while traveling at 50+ mph. I literally just swapped them out for some properly dampened setup. Haven't even ridden them yet so that's how new it is. I rocked the xr75/80 rears and fast50 fronts (with delrin bushes and anti wobbles collars) for ages before. At least 10 years. Then the bike was doing a lot of off-road mx stuff though. Served me amazingly well. When in doubt, just land on your back wheel and all was well and good in the world.
    On the street, the stiff springs and zero dampening (at high speeds) was starting to worry me so I just replaced with Daytona inner forks.

As far as the drums, in that pic they are all stock. Depends what you run. If 3-bolt hubs (r) you are limited but if 4-bolt get the best pads and a takegawa front extended brake arm and cable brakes. The more leverage the better.
    50 Nuts

Fat Tires Rule

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links