Im having a head scratching newb-like experience wiring lights with a lifan into a k3

PlanetMinis Forums

Im having a head scratching newb-like experience wiring lights with a lifan into a k3

This is a discussion on Im having a head scratching newb-like experience wiring lights with a lifan into a k3 within the Z50, CT70 and JDM Monkeybikes forums, part of the General Talk category; I've got this set up to work quite a few times but am having a head scratching moment here. The bike runs and stops with ...

This user has no status.

I've got this set up to work quite a few times but am having a head scratching moment here.

The bike runs and stops with the kill switch and I'm confident I got those wires run correctly. The lighting I have the yellow, pink and ground wires going into the 6v rectifier and a hot coming out going into the stock plug. When the bike is running I get ~6v at the headlight bucket. I am testing the red wire and the ground inside the head bucket.( I should mention Im tapping into the stock harness k3). when I plug in the head light or tail light the voltage goes to 0.00v. when I unplug them the voltage goes back to ~6v.

Is is shorting out because of a ground somewhere? Anyone else have this experience?

Thanks and sorry for the totally newbie question.
    Will

boz
    This user has no status.

Do you have a 3 or 4 wire rectifier? Are you trying to put a 12Volt CDI engine into a CT70? I'm wondering about your 6V rectifier. Are the Yellow, Pink, and ground (Green?) wires from the stator labeled? Do you have a wiring diagram for the engine?

It sounds like you are getting some voltage from your rectifier, but so little power is available that when you install a light bulb, the bulb pulls the voltage right down to zero. That causes me to suspect your wiring to the rectifier.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by boz View Post
    Do you have a 3 or 4 wire rectifier? Are you trying to put a 12Volt CDI engine into a CT70? I'm wondering about your 6V rectifier. Are the Yellow, Pink, and ground (Green?) wires from the stator labeled? Do you have a wiring diagram for the engine?

It sounds like you are getting some voltage from your rectifier, but so little power is available that when you install a light bulb, the bulb pulls the voltage right down to zero. That causes me to suspect your wiring to the rectifier.
    4 wire rectifier. but I'm getting around 6v at the headlight bucket before I plug it in.

Sponsored Links