PlanetMinis Forums banner

Ct70 engine seized?

6K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  davmo 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1980 Ct70, the guy that I purchased it from told me that it had sat for 5 years because he had lost the key but was running well when the key was lost he finally found a key and tried to start it and couldn't and decided to sell it, I bought it thinking that I could clean the carburetor and get it going, upon further inspection I think the engine is seized it will kick over but it is pretty stuff to do and I don't think when I do kick it the piston is moving, what would cause this and I'm not really sure where to do next any help would be greatly appreciated!

#3 · (Edited)
It could just be your clutch slipping. It's a common problem. Try kicking it slower, just spin the lever with your foot, rather than kinda jumping on it.
If you put regular car oil in your motor, it will cause your clutch to slip...contaminate the friction discs to the point of needing replacement. You HAVE to use the correct 4 stroke motorcycle oil, or a acceptable substitute.
If you're trying to get your bike running for the first time, try putting it into 2nd or 3rd gear and pushing it around in circles. That'll get your motor spinning, sparking, and sucking fuel if it's going to.
Clean and set the points, then check for spark. Points are a common problem too. They have to be CLEAN and gapped to about .015-.016 inches.

#4 ·
5 years in storage is certainly long enough for the cylinder to have rusted too. You could start by putting a little WD-40, or something right into the spark plug hole. It could be just enough to allow your piston to start moving.

Either way, even if it's seized, it's repairable. Not a huge deal. It's unlikely that it's badly rusted.

#6 ·
So I have put some wd 40 in the cylinder and let it sit for a while and there has been really no change, as far as pushing the kick starter down by hand it's way too stiff. I also tried pushing around while in gear and it's locked up pretty good. I pulled the fuel lines to see what they looked like and there was some sort of goo that hard hardened in there and it was solid so I'm thinking it may have sat longer than he said. Is it possibly that it's not rust that has locked it up and some other goo that could be in there?

#7 · (Edited)
could be some goo. An old method of un-seizing if not significantly rusted is to put ATF transmission fluid in the cylinder through the spark hole, let it sit several days, and hit it with a heat gun or a heat source that doesn't use an open flame several times during the wait. A hot plate several inches below the cylinder will work well. Empty the fluid out of the cylinder, put the bike in fourth gear and push forward. If it is just goo it will come loose this way. If it doesn't work,it is probably rusted enough to need a bore job and rings. The other thing to note is whether the flywheel turns. It is directly attached to the crank and will tell you if the piston is moving. You can sometimes use a strap wrench to turn it, breaking it free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.