PlanetMinis Forums banner

Steering Stem bearings everwhere and first 1979 Z50R restomod

897 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  dirtbkr188 
#1 · (Edited)
So this is my first post, thanks for any help in advance. I actually have lots of questions and I have searched around for some of the answers but haven't found exactly the answers or the pics/links were no longer there etc... I have done a descent amount of mods and work to full size bikes over the years on Harleys and dirt bikes. My son is 12 and I decided it was time for him to learn how to turn a wrench so I found what was advertised as a 1978 Z50 still running for $600. After looking at the tbolts year model reference I think its a 1979 Z50R. I bought it and cleaned out the carb, replaced the oil, replaced the gas, etc.... and it was running descent. Let my son ride it for awhile until we were ready to restomod it. So we recently broke it down and as one of the last items I took apart was the steering stem. I planned to replace the forks. As you probably know bearings fell out and went everywhere. Yikes!!!! I was thinking wow, how do you pack those bearings? Looks like it would be difficult. I definitely need help with that. I am hoping there are circle bearings or maybe that's what they called tapered bearings in some of the other threads. Not sure. First question is:

Can I get a normal set of bearings that are easy to put in? If so where do I buy them and how do they get installed? From what I gathered I may need to pop out the housings that hold the regular ball bearings.

2nd question: I am looking to replace most of the parts on the bike once the frame comes back repainted. The Tbolt site is the best I have found but I don't think they have everything I need. Any direction on other places to get these parts is greatly appreciated. I prefer to buy as many at one place as possible. The only parts I really plan to keep are the frame and motor. On the motor I plan on doing the smaller big bore kit and the clutch kit. Anyone who has done this please let me know if it came out ok. Also one other question, I see a lot of 10" wheels and tires out there. Can I upgrade to 10" with no problems or is that just for a different Z50 tire and wheel? Thanks again for all the help! Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Motorcycle
Vehicle Car Bumper Auto part

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome. There sure is a wealth of info on this site.

Your bike seems to be a bit of a frankin-bike. The tank, frame, wheels and forks might be 78s. The seat, numbers plates and exhaust are 80s. Are the fenders metal or plastic? Still look fun so enjoy!

I ha e had great luck on partzilla for just about everything. You can get every single bolt for these, and it's all gen Honda. I don't use them for everything but when I want correct bolts, clamps, screws and what not, it's amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#3 ·
Thanks for the response and the partzilla direction. I thought it looked pretty much just like the 79 on this Z50 ID doc. The circles in the wheels looked to be a definite 79 thing. The serial # on the neck has just been painted too many times to see what it really is. The fender and # plate are plastic. Someone definitely put some ugly aftermarket handlebars on it.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

#5 ·
Your tank is from a 78 or older bike, and I assume the frame as well. The 80s frame have thinner rear shock upper mounts and circle holes rather then triangle cutout on the upper motor mount tabs. The wheels are 79 and older. 80s and up have smaller brake hubs and larger slots in the rims. The seat is 79-87 style. The muffler is 1980-1987, as is the right side number plate. The bars are aftermarket but the clamps might be 79s. That was the only year they came that way. All later Zs had fixed bars.

#6 ·
That concerns me for buying parts. I need to find out what that frame is when we sandblast the paint off. I'm guessing with what you said it's a 78 with 79 wheels and some other mismatched parts. I would like to make it what it is but on that Id document I posted the 78 looks nothing like the 79. Anyone have any direction on the steering stem issue? That's my biggest concern right now.

#7 ·
The 72-78 bikes all use the same parts. 79 is the first "R" model made and uses the 72-78 wheels and exhaust but with a R frame, seat, tank etc.

It really depends what you want to do with it. Restore it to original condition or just freshen it up to ride.

#10 ·
You can see the frame differences between a '78 Z50A and a '79 Z50R model here and here.

The front tank mounts and the top rear shock mounts are clearly different. Your tank is a '73-'78 model, and the seat is for a '79-'87 model, as pointed out above. Someone modified it to bolt up to the '78 frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.