PlanetMinis Forums

z50r suspension question

This is a discussion on z50r suspension question within the Z50, CT70 and JDM Monkeybikes forums, part of the General Talk category; i have a 92 z50 that i have been messin with for a couple of years and hav really bit the bullet and went for ...

This user has no status.

z50r suspension question

i have a 92 z50 that i have been messin with for a couple of years and hav really bit the bullet and went for the all out suspension mod. I bought a set of crf 50 50 caliber front forks and a staggs racing mono shock rear setup. i got the whole setup on the bike and have been using it and it rode great till the piece of crap rear shock stopped working. When i did all the modifications i had a feeling the stock rims wouldnt fit so i went ahead and put a xr70 rear rim and bought a 12" front rim and used those. the thing is its just not the same as having the big fat snowblower tires on the old 8" rims and i would like to put them back on but am not sure what to use to make it work. i know i need different triple clamps or have some made and im not sure which swingarm to use to get the rear wheel to track straight and for the brake to work right. can somebody help me out on this one?

is hunting...

well, fast 50s makes the triple that'll fit the older fat-wheel Zs. http://www.fast50s.com/cart/customer/home.php?cat=3

This user has no status.

yea i already had that its for the stock forks i am looking for clamps that will go on xr 70 style forks that will still allow me to fit the big wheel

This user has no status.

Couldn't you use XR clamps?

This user has no status.

you can use 70 clamps for a xr50, but i dont know about the z. i have stockers on mine, with a fast50 clamp.

oh, try using an older z70 clamp for them, that might work. ive only seen one z70 in my life, so it could be hard to find

This user has no status.

Honda never made a Z70. The one you saw was definitely a one off custom.
    E-mail: arlindsay1992@gmail.com

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/arlindsay1992

AIM: arlindsay1992

This user has no status.

so basically im still right were i left off. hopefully sombody can give me an answer. oh and i know this might not be the right page but has anyone used 50 caliber products? if so what do you think.

Super Moderator
    is Grateful...

Supporting Member

1985 XR100 triples will hold the 27mm XR forks, but you have to do some machine work to the steering stem for it to fit properly on the Z50 neck. It requires some turning down on the lathe, to lower the upper bearing race, re-threading the shaft lower to allow the locknut to tighten up on the upper bearing, and some slight trimming of the brake stop to center the wheel.

From everything I've read and heard, 50 caliber products are third-rate quality, if that.
    - dirtbkr188 -

This user has no status.

it looked like a z70. but maybe it was something else then, becuase it was white and had a z on the tank, and was a 70 size.

dahaha, 50cal?? theres been a lot of talk here about two years ago that their stuff sucks, but i dont know now.

This user has no status.

Aftermarket front suspension suitable for dirt use on the Z50's are near non-existant w/o heavy modification. Whats wrong with doing stock forks, and a +1" kit with HD springs?

As for the rear suspension, Classic Honda sells dual shock rear swingers and shocks. If you want a proper mono shock on the rear, your going to need a specialty swingarm from Japan that will cost.

This user has no status.

as for using the stock forks with the longer legs there ok if your riding the back yard and hitting small jumps, but i wanted something that would stand up to real jumps and alot of abuse and they just wont cut it. I guess im just going to have to make something work or get the kids at the tech school to machine me up some custom triple clamps. plus then it would be completly custom and one off

This user has no status.

Hey 1life..

It can be done but it's a bit of work. I have a 95 Z50 with Sik50's forks and a custom swingarm/mono shock setup using the original 8" wheels. I machined down the front hub instead of messing with the triple clamps to fit the wheel. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here is a picture...

cwbride

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by cwbride
    Hey 1life..

It can be done but it's a bit of work. I have a 95 Z50 with Sik50's forks and a custom swingarm/mono shock setup using the original 8" wheels. I machined down the front hub instead of messing with the triple clamps to fit the wheel. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here is a picture...

nw this is what im talking about! The bike looks sick. So you didnt touch the fork setup at all? how much did you have to take off the hub? did you only shave it on the brake side or did you have to take it off both sides. the other problem i was seeing when i was trying to fit it up was that the tire comes really close to rubbin the forks. I know your runnin the stock tire and maybe thats why you dont have this issue, but with the 4.80x8 snow tires they are a really tight fit. what is the rear setup you have? where did the shock and swingarm come from?

This user has no status.

That bike has a Yamaha R1 shock with a custom swingarm. I don't know any more than that but you're right, that's a tricked out bike.
    E-mail: arlindsay1992@gmail.com

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/arlindsay1992

AIM: arlindsay1992

This user has no status.

1life,

We machined about about 9/16" off the brake side. I also took about 1/4" off the other side but that was not necessary. I also had had to remove some material off the lower fork leg to allow the brake arm to move freely up and down. I wanted to install some of the snow hogs/shredder tires on this bike but I'm not sure they would fit. The swingarm is custom and the shock is from a Yamaha R1. Very fun bike to ride.
    cwbride

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by cwbride
    1life,

We machined about about 9/16" off the brake side. I also took about 1/4" off the other side but that was not necessary. I also had had to remove some material off the lower fork leg to allow the brake arm to move freely up and down. I wanted to install some of the snow hogs/shredder tires on this bike but I'm not sure they would fit. The swingarm is custom and the shock is from a Yamaha R1. Very fun bike to ride.
    sweet thanks for the info im gonna give it a shot

This user has no status.

I have a frame and swing arm that is a mono shock triangle swing arm that fits a 8 inch wheel combo they just bolt right on.

look in the photo gallery in the import section you will see a little black bike with this set up its my RC70 Mini cross

Ads